Attorney Tony Buzbee
There are thousands of nameless, faceless attorneys who fill the top floors of many of the office buildings in every major city in the United States — there is no one like Tony Buzbee. Buzbee is a leader in his field and at the top of his profession. The Texas Lawyer agrees, naming Tony Buzbee “Attorney of the Year” for 2015.
The New York Times Magazine described Buzbee as: “One of the most successful trial lawyers in the country.”
Texas Monthly said of Buzbee: “Buzbee has made his name going after corporations, and he usually wins big.”
The New York Times stated it best when it said, “Mr Buzbee is a big, mean, ambitious, tenacious, fire-breathing Texas trial lawyer. Really big. Poster boy big.”
A Distinguished Background In Service And Leadership
Tony Buzbee is a former Recon Marine officer. His mettle has been tested time and again through some of the most demanding training in the armed services and due to his involvement in some of the most intense Marine operations in various countries. Buzbee didn’t just survive or endure as a Marine officer, he excelled. In the Marine Corps, officers are taught to lead from the front, to do more with less, to work smart, to hit fast and exploit weaknesses, and to be creative. Tony Buzbee, and the firm he has built, use these same principles and attitudes in the practice of law.
Tony Buzbee is a nationwide figure who is sought out in every kind of case all over the country. He believes in the wisdom of juries. He deeply respects the practice of law and the system as a whole. Tony Buzbee has earned the luxury of selecting the cases upon which he personally chooses to work.
Tony Buzbee is the son of a butcher and high school cafeteria worker. After earning an ROTC scholarship, Buzbee attended Texas A&M University. While there, he served as a Battalion Commander in the Corps of Cadets. Upon graduation, Buzbee was named a Distinguished Naval Graduate and Distinguished Student, and was recognized as the Outstanding NROTC Senior in the Corps of Cadets, as well as the Outstanding Commander in the Corps of Cadets. Buzbee now has the honor of having the Buzbee Leadership Learning Center named after him.
After college, Buzbee entered the United States Marine Corps. In his initial Marine Corps training, Buzbee was recognized as an Honor Graduate, receiving the top leadership score out of more than 200 other Marine Lieutenants. Buzbee then continued his service as a Marine Corps infantry officer, serving in the Persian Gulf and Somalian conflicts, where he commanded various Marine special operations capable (SOC) infantry units. After rigorous physical and mental screening, Buzbee was selected by the Marines to become a Recon officer, commanding the elite Recon Company of the historic First Marine Regiment. While serving as a Recon officer, Buzbee received various awards, including top leadership awards from the rigorous Navy Dive School and the daunting Amphibious Reconnaissance Course. Ultimately, Buzbee earned the rank of Captain and, for his Marine Corps service, was awarded the prestigious Navy Commendation Medal.
After leaving the Marine Corps, Buzbee entered law school at the University of Houston Law Center. While there, Buzbee was the managing editor of the Houston Law Review, was elected Class Captain by his peers, and was also a member of the Order of the Coif, Order of the Barristers and Order of the Barons. Buzbee was also the state and regional mock trial champion and was voted best advocate in every competition in which he competed. Buzbee ultimately graduated summa cum laude, second in his class.
After graduation, Buzbee was selected to serve as a briefing attorney for a federal district judge in the Southern District of Texas, Galveston Division. Upon completing that assignment, he was hired by one of the most prestigious litigation boutiques in the country. He then founded his own firm.
Notable Commendations And Awards
Aside from his legal practice, Buzbee is also a business owner, responsible for various well-known retail endeavors, commercial buildings and hotels. Buzbee serves on the Board of Directors of Hometown Bank and the board of the Bay Area Council of the Boy Scouts of America, and has also served on the Board of Visitors of Texas A&M Galveston. Buzbee was recently a member of the Board of Regents of Texas A&M University.
Tony Buzbee has been recognized as a Texas “Super Lawyer” by Thomson Reuters in 2004 and 2008 – 2020. Buzbee has been profiled in a biography, “Tony Buzbee: Defining Moments” by Michael Lee Lanning and has appeared on the cover of The New York Times Magazine. In 2015, he was named Texas Lawyer’s Attorney of the Year and in 2017, The Texas Aggie Bar Association selected him as Aggie Lawyer of the Year.
Tony Buzbee is frequently sought out for his courtroom skill and oratory talent. Buzbee is also a frequent commentator on national news programs. Due to his skill set, he has been retained to help a U.S Senate candidate prepare himself for a series of televised debates and even was called upon to assist a presidential candidate in multiple, nationally-televised presidential debates.
Tony Buzbee became the trial lawyer he is today by applying the skills he learned in the Marines: comprehensive preparation and ruthless execution. Buzbee believes that the only way to reach a fair settlement for his clients is to prepare each case as if it will be tried. There is a real difference between those who “litigate” cases and those who try cases to verdict in a court of law. Tony Buzbee has a proven track record of trying and winning cases, period.
• Offshore Litigation: Emphasis on offshore explosions and injuries
• Commercial Litigation: Represented commercial note holders sued by payees on the notes, resulting in a confidential settlement.
• Toxic Torts: Record-setting verdict for 10 workers exposed to carbon disulfide at the BP Texas City plant.
• Toxic Torts: Represented more than 10 thousand FEMA trailer residents who were suing — claiming formaldehyde exposure while living in FEMA trailers — and serves on the MDL Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee.
• Class Actions: Served as Lead Plaintiffs’ Counsel in several statewide and nationwide class actions.
• Pipeline Explosions: Represented several individuals burned or killed due to pipeline explosions.
• Apartment Explosion: Represented an apartment resident who was badly burned when an explosion occurred. The case resolved after the apartment owner was caught altering documents.
• Products Liability: Represented a dry cleaning store owner who was severely burned when a dry cleaning machine spewed boiling dry cleaning fluid over 60% of his body. Forced a nationwide retrofit of dry cleaning machines after a substantial dollar settlement.
• Home Owner Liability: Represented a teenager who was severely burned while attending a bonfire at a friend’s home.
• Trademark Infringement: Represented famed singer Jimmy Buffett in litigation in the Galveston federal court.
• Breach of Contract and Fraud Defense: Successfully defended a multimillion dollar case brought by local celebrity “Mattress Mac” against world-renowned horse traders and trainers.
• Breach of Contract, Plaintiff: Obtained significant settlement for the Port of Galveston.
• Government Regulation: Represented highly regarded developer Blackard Group pertaining to a multimillion dollar development on Galveston’s West End.
• Environmental Litigation: Represented Spain’s Basque Government in the largest oil spill in Spain’s history.
• Copyright Infringement: Represented a Houston rap artist against a famed rap star.
• Products Liability: Represented the first verdict in Texas against Ford Motor Company related to the stability of Ford Explorer vehicles, resulting in a significant verdict and subsequent settlement.
• Offshore Death: Forced an offshore company to install guards on all hose reels.
• Negligence/Personal Injury: Forced a gas company to change policies relating to safety devices following settlement.
• Offshore Death: Uncovered a deadly mismatch problem in the offshore drilling industry, resulting in an industry-wide correction of the problem, as well as a significant verdict and subsequent settlement.
• Wrongful Death: Represented the stepdaughter of infamous murderer Clara Harris, reaching a favorable settlement for the stepdaughter’s share of Harris’ estate.
• Antitrust/Class Actions: Represented more than 10,000 offshore drilling workers in a case alleging wage fixing, resulting in a substantial settlement.
• Plant Explosions: Represented more than 160 workers injured in the largest industrial accident in U.S. history, obtaining extremely favorable settlements and serving on the Court-Appointed Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee.
Note: These verdicts and settlements are intended to be representative of cases handled by Tony Buzbee and The Buzbee Law Firm. As the facts and law on each case differ, these listings are not a guarantee or prediction of the outcome of any other claims.
• Adjunct Professor, University of Houston Law Center, Litigating Commercial Disputes
• University of Houston Law Center, Guest Lecturer, Arbitration, Contracts, Etc.
• Various CLE’s on topics ranging from trial practice, jury selection and the taking of depositions
• Susman Godfrey LLP, Attorney
• Southern District of Texas, Briefing Attorney
• United States Marine Corps, Captain
• Licensed in Texas and New York, and has practiced in all 50 States.