According to Texas annual statistics, there has been a rise in traffic deaths, and our state now has the second-highest annual rate of auto accidents after California. Regardless of how frequent they are, you might need guidance on what to do when a car accident occurs.
We outline the crucial actions to take along with frequently asked questions of personal injury victims following a car accident to enhance your chances of minimizing injury and maximizing your car accident claim.
Find out what to do at the scene of a car accident and how a Texas car accident attorney from Buzbee Law may assist you in seeking compensation if you or a loved one was gravely hurt.
What Should I Do if I Am Involved in a Car Accident?
Take the following actions after suffering personal injuries from a car wreck to safeguard yourself and secure the highest settlement possible for your auto accident claim:
- Get to a safe location: If possible, put on your emergency lights and go to the side of the road to avoid being hit by oncoming traffic.
- Contact the police and file an accident report. You can provide thorough detail but do not say anything to accept blame for the collision.
- Exchange information such as your license, insurance, plate numbers, and contact information with the driver. Never apologize or admit fault at the scene.
- Gather evidence at the scene of the car accident, such as pictures of damage and injuries, the names and phone numbers of any witnesses, or anything the at-fault motorist says to you.
- Seek medical attentionimmediately, even if you believe your injuries are minimal. The adrenaline from shock frequently obscures pain, and certain injuries can only be identified through diagnostic procedures.
How Can I Maximize My Car Accident Claim?
Injuries to anyone involved in a car accident could trigger legal action and financial compensation. Following a car accident, you can protect yourself and solidify your claim by:
- Find a good car accident lawyer in Texas. You’ll know the value of your claim after one session. If you’re unable to, all the evidence gathered will be examined by a lawyer, and a strategy will be made to pursue legal action.
- Keep a journal or speak with a therapist to document how your injuries are affecting you. When your Texas accident attorney determines your non-economic losses, such as pain and suffering, this will be useful information to have.
- Be careful of what you post on social media. Also, limit who you discuss details of the accident with. It is not uncommon for insurance companies to use evasive strategies to discredit claims.
- Finish your recovery treatment according to the doctor’s recommendations. Don’t skip appointments unless needed.
- Document everything and keep copies. This includes medical records, post-accident related expenses, and other things that your lawyer may use for your case.
Completing all of these steps will protect you from potential legal action against you or solidify your claim against another person. Those who have been injured in a car accident in Texas can reach out to Buzbee Law for a consultation.
What Should I Do as a Bystander That Witnessed a Car Accident?
While no law that states you must stop to help victims, it is considerate and strongly recommended for witnesses to do this at the scene of a car accident:
- To ensure your safety, dial 911. You don’t have to put yourself in danger by running to the aid of people hurt in the crash, but call for emergency services if it appears serious enough to require a paramedic.
- If it helps to secure the scene, keep a safe distance and switch on your hazard lights.
- If you can, take pictures and provide the police with your contact information in case the victims need it and can get it through the report.
Be aware that Texas has “Good Samaritan” laws. If your efforts fail to assist the victim or unintentionally make matters worse for the victim, they can’t hold you legally liable.
Documents Needed in the Event of a Car Accident
In the event of an auto accident, there are three forms of identification you need to exchange properly:
- Driver’s license
- Vehicle registration
- Proof of insurance
If you have a health condition, it’s always helpful to have this information in your glove compartment in case of emergencies.
Is an Attorney Necessary After a Car Accident?
If your injuries are mild, you may not need an attorney to handle your claim. Speaking with an accident lawyer while on the scene of a car accident isn’t necessary, but many accident victims find that doing so is a crucial next step.
A lawyer for auto accidents can look through your case and provide you with a strategy. They can help you with your insurance claim and will be aware of the necessary steps to obtain reimbursement for the full damage.
If you are in need of assistance after a car accident, contact Buzbee Law for a risk-free, no-obligation appointment. We can get all of your questions answered.