The loss of a loved one can change your entire life. Not only do you face funeral costs, the burden of supporting your family on a single income and potentially mounting medical bills, you also face these struggles without your loved one by your side.
If you lost someone important in your life due to the negligence of another person, no amount of compensation can return that person to you. However, the compensation available through a wrongful death case could help relieve a financial burden during an already difficult time. What compensation might you receive in a wrongful death lawsuit?
What damages might the court award in a wrongful death case?
After a successful wrongful death lawsuit, the court will award damages to offset the financial and emotional impact that the loss of this person has on their immediate family. A victim’s family may be eligible for compensation for:
- Medical costs related to the fatal injury
- Funeral costs
- Loss of the decedent’s benefits and future income
- Loss of the decedent’s future inheritance
- Loss of companionship for the spouse of the person who passed
- Loss of parental guidance for the decedent’s underage children
- Additional penalties for the pain and suffering you suffered and, in some cases, the suffering of your loved one before they succumbed to their injuries
- Additional damages if your loved one passed away due to the deliberate or harmful actions of the other party
For a free legal consultation, call 844-349-9196
If you lost a loved one due to the negligent actions of another person or entity, speak to an experienced personal injury attorney. They can help you explore your options, hold that negligent person legally responsible and help you get the financial support you need to recover after this tragic event.