When dozens or even thousands of people want to sue the same defendant, there is no way to make it fair for everyone to go to trial on their own. The Buzbee Law Firm’s class action lawyers in Plano can help you start or join a class action lawsuit to solve this problem.
Class actions pool plaintiffs together to speed up the process of receiving justice. There are several kinds of class actions, each with their own rules, and all faster than waiting for others to finish their trials before you.
What to Look for in a Class Action Lawyer
If you’ve received a notice that you’re a member of a class action lawsuit, you shouldn’t need a lawyer. All the hard work behind the scenes has been done. You just need to prove you’re a part of the class. But if you wish to start one, you need a class action lawyer.
The biggest thing to look for is experience. Class action cases can be extremely complicated. You want a lawyer who has successfully litigated past class action suits favorably and has experience working in the location where the plaintiffs live. Our team has worked with class actions nationwide.
You’ll also want to find a lawyer you can get along with. Class actions can last for years with your lawyer next to you every step of the way. Find one that matches your communication style, is accessible, and can answer your questions to your satisfaction.
For a free legal consultation with a class action lawyer serving Plano, call 844-349-9196
Kinds of Class Action Cases We’ve Taken
There’s a broad range of class action cases, from data leaks of personal information to oil refinery explosions. Here are some of the class action cases we’ve taken in the past.
- Representing famed horse brokers in claims made against them by Jim “Mattress Mac” MacInvale
- Representing Galveston real estate developers against the Army Corps of Engineers
- Representing holders of commercial notes in action against them and their broker
The firm’s most notable success was a substantial jury verdict in Galveston federal court. BP Texas City exposed over 100 contract workers to harmful chemicals. Those workers received a $100 million jury verdict.
Toxic torts and plant explosions are our specialty. We’re a nationwide leader in toxic tort litigation and have prevailed in 10 states on behalf of our clients. If you were exposed to toxic chemicals, contact us for a free consultation. We can help you.
Plano Class Action Lawyer Near Me 844-349-9196
What Is the Process of a Class Action?
Class actions have extra steps compared to other civil cases to protect the rights of all the parties in the case. Some of these steps are:
- A class action lawyer determines that a class action case is possible.
- A class action complaint is filed defining the problem and the class of people affected.
- A judge must agree that there are enough cases to make individual lawsuits impractical and that there is a common issue among all the defendants.
- Other defendants in the case may call for a hearing to determine whether a class action is in their best interests.
- The judge will also examine the fitness of the lead plaintiff counsel to handle the class action.
- If these checks pass, then the court will issue an order listing the original plaintiffs, their counsel, and the qualifications for other people to join the class action lawsuit.
- Next, there is an effort to notify the members of the class in writing so they can decide to opt-in or opt-out of the class.
- If the defendant settles, the court will have a hearing to decide if the settlement is fair, reasonable, and adequate for the class. If the case goes to trial and the class wins, they will hold a similar hearing.
- The class must be notified about the result and instructed how to claim their share of compensation.
- The court supervises the payout administration. Any money left over will go back to the defendant.
As you can see, these extra steps ensure that justice for all the class members can be preserved. In more complicated class actions, known as mass torts, there can be even more steps and require all members of the class to have a lawyer to claim compensation.
How Are Class Action Lawyers Paid?
Class action lawyers are paid on a contingency basis. If the class loses the case, then the lawyers do not get paid for their services. If they win, the lawyer takes a percentage of the final amount as their fee.
The members of the class collectively pay for their lawyer’s services. If you are joining a class action because of a notice, you do not need to have a lawyer. However, if you don’t understand the notice, then a quick consultation with one can help you decide what to do.
If a class action complaint gets certified by the court, the odds are good that a settlement will happen.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Hire a Class Action Lawyer in Plano
If you’ve been injured in Plano and there are others like you suffering similar things, speak with our Plano class action attorneys in a free consultation. The Buzbee Law Firm knows how to build class action lawsuits that get results. Call or email us to schedule an appointment.