Peter Taaffe handles all aspects of civil litigation, including Jones Act, maritime, negligence, real estate, technology, dram shop, sexual assault and commercial claims. Peter has extensive experience representing clients - ranging from individuals to Fortune 100 companies - in federal and state trial courts, appellate courts, and in arbitration. He has extensive experience handling mass tort actions. He has been repeatedly honored for his pro bono work for indigent clients.
Thomson Reuters has named Peter to the Texas Super Lawyers list, in personal injury litigation and business litigation, from 2016 to 2020.
Peter recently concluded a six-year term as a Board of Regents for the University of Houston System. Appointed by Governor Rick Perry in 2013, re-appointed by Governor Greg Abbott, and confirmed by the Texas Senate, Peter completed his term as the Vice-Chairman of the Board. Peter also served as Chairman of the Board's Audit Committee and also served on the Finance and Administration and Academic and Student Success Committees.
Peter received his undergraduate degree from the University of Texas in 1993 and graduated with honors from the University of Houston Law Center in 1997. After graduating from law school, Peter served as senior briefing attorney to U.S. District Court Judge Joe J. Fisher.
Peter has assisted in debate preparation for Presidential and U.S. Senate candidates.
He has served as campaign treasurer for candidates in both major parties.
Peter is licensed in Texas and admitted to practice in the Fifth Circuit and the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas.
- University of Houston Law Center, Houston, Texas
- J.D. - 1997
- Honors: cum laude
- Honors: With Honors
- University of Texas at Austin
- B.A. - 1993
- Major: History
Classes & Seminars
- Adjunct Professor, University of Houston Law School, “Litigating Contract Disputes”, Spring 2012
- 40 Hour Mediation Training, University of Houston, January 2013
- Texas Pro Bono College, 2000
- Recognized by Houston Volunteer Lawyers Program and Travis County (Austin) Volunteer Legal Services for Pro Bono Work
- DuBois, Bryant, Campbell & Schwartz, LLP
- Brobeck, Phleger & Harrison, L.L.P
- Gardere, Wynne, Sewell & Riggs, LLP
- Senior Judge Joe J. Fisher, Eastern District of Texas, Beaumont Division, Senior Briefing Attorney
- University of Houston System Board of Regents, Former Member, Former Vice-Chairman
- University of Houston Law Alumni Association, Former Director
- Advisory Board, Center for U.S. and Mexican Law, University of Houston Law Center
Current Employment Position
- Of Counsel
- Civil Litigation
- Jones Act
- Real Estate
- Commercial Claims
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- Texas Super Lawyers 2016 to 2020
- Handled more than 100 cases for Jones Act seamen or other maritime workers, in cases involving blue water seaman, dredge workers and offshore drilling workers.
- Trial team for numerous significant verdicts and settlements during trial.
- Represented plaintiffs and defendants in numerous mass toxic-tort actions.
- Represented Fortune 500 and small businesses in technology and commercial disputes.