Clients . Sample of Our Results


Sample of Our Results

Hired after almost two years of litigation, Buzbee along with co-counsel, tried a three-week death case to verdict. The jury found no liability on behalf of Buzbee's client, and returned a verdict in his favor reported to be $29 million.

Tony Buzbee and Chris Leavitt tried a negligence case arising from a condo fire against a General Contractor and a Welding Subcontractor in Galveston State Court. During opening statements, Buzbee argued for 100% liability against the General Contractor. After a day of trial, the General Contractor settled the case on favorable and confidential terms. The Buzbee team then changed course, arguing for 100% liability against the Subcontractor. After a week trial, the jury agreed, rendering a significant verdict, reported by the The Galveston Daily News as more than $30 million. The case was especially satisfying, in light of the fact that the Subcontractor argued vehemently that it had no liability for the fire.

Tony Buzbee, Chris Johns, and Chris Leavitt tried a case for an offshore worker, employed by King Fisher/Orion Marine, who fell while transferring from a barge to his boat. The Defendant argued that the worker was a fraud, because he had went in for an MRI for back pain prior to the accident at issue in the lawsuit. The jury disagreed, returning a verdict reported by the Texas Blue Sheet to be in excess of $800,000.

After taking more than forty depositions, and trying the case for three weeks, Tony Buzbee settled the case for five workers allegedly injured in a plant explosion that injured five and killed two. The settlements, which came right before closing arguments, were more than five times and fifty times respectively, what was paid by the wrongdoer to the family of those who died, but who chose a different lawyer who settled early.

Tony Buzbee recently settled a case for four workers allegedly injured when a vessel fell off its turning rolls. The case settled for more than $3.7 million, as Tony Buzbee prepared to choose a jury.

Tony Buzbee and Caroline Adams have collected significant amounts as a result of business interruption caused by the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill. Several restaurant owners reported to the national press recoveries of amounts exceeding $5 million or more as a result of the firm's efforts.

Tony Buzbee tried a case for a 48 year-old electrician injured at the BP Plant. The man alleged that he had been hit by a bus that backed up without looking, causing the man to almost be knocked to the ground. Although he was treated on the scene for back pain, the man continued to work for 16 months. As he continued to work, his back pain progressively worsened. Ultimately, the man stopped working, and hired The Buzbee Law Firm to obtain monies so he could have back surgery. After receiving only a $150,000 pre-trial offer, after a five day trial, the jury entered a significantly higher verdict of what was reported in the newspaper as $2.4 million. The case settled later that day for a confidential amount.

Tony Buzbee and Peter Taaffe tried a toxic exposure case for three weeks in Galveston Federal Court against BP. Prior to trial, BP offered $100,000 to settle the case; according to the national press, the jury awarded $100 million-- the largest verdict ever awarded in Galveston County, the largest ever awarded against BP, and was listed in the National Law Journal as one of the top verdicts in the United States for 2009. This case has now settled for a confidential amount.

Tony Buzbee and Chris Johns tried a two and a half week trial in Galveston for the family of a thirteen year old boy killed in a tragic car accident. The case was tried against Ford Motor Company alleging that the Ford Explorer was defective due to its tendency to roll over during an accident avoidance maneuver. Prior to the trial, Ford offered less than $250,000.00 to settle.  At the conclusion of trial, the jury returned a “historic verdict” ($16.6 million as described by the press) on behalf of the family. The case settled for a confidential amount a few days later. This verdict was the first of its kind in the State of Texas, and was the first time Ford had lost such a case after its army of lawyers had won cases alleging the same theory in fourteen trials in a row across the United States.

Tony Buzbee and Chris Johns (with local counsel Aaron Vela) tried a case in South Texas state court for a female dredge worker hit in the head when the vessel upon which she was working unexpectedly rolled causing the cans to fall from the shelves. The worker claimed the blow from the can injured her neck, although she did not have surgery. The case was brought against Weeks Marine, Inc.  Prior to trial, Weeks offered $50,000 to settle the case. After a week long trial, the jury returned a significantly higher verdict reported in the Blue Sheet as $1.2 million. The case settled confidentially on appeal. Note: After the trial, one of the jurors, who was so impressed with his performance at trial, hired Tony Buzbee for her case. Tony Buzbee, Frank Spagnoletti, Craig Eiland, and Stretch Lewis tried a case on behalf of a push boat worker who was forced to jump two and a half feet to traverse from one vessel to another. During the jump, he injured his back, requiring back surgery. Prior to trial, the push boat company offered $150,000 to settle the case. After a week long trial, the court entered a verdict well in excess of the pretrial offer, reported in the Blue Sheet as $1.4 million. The case settled for a confidential amount thereafter.

Tony Buzbee, Art Sadin, and Joe Fisher tried a week long case on behalf of a railroad engineer involved in a train collision. Due to injuries suffered during the collision the engineer had to have back surgery. Blaming our client for the entire accident BNSF railroad offered nothing to settle the case. After a week-long trial, the jury returned a significant verdict for our client, reported in the Blue Sheet as $1.42 million.

Tony Buzbee and co-counsel Michael Sydow tried a breach of contract case on an oral contract against Edison Chouest Corporation. Prior to trial, the Defendant offered less than $200,000 to settle the case. After a week long trial, the jury returned a verdict for our clients well in excess of the last pretrial offer, and reported in the local press as $2.8 million. While a motion for new trial was pending, the case settled for a confidential amount. After the trial, the jury foreperson called Tony Buzbee to thank him for representing the Plaintiffs.

Tony Buzbee tried a products liability and admiralty case for an offshore worker against FMC Corporation on behalf of a widow whose husband was killed offshore Saudi Arabia on a drilling platform when the pipes he was working around burst under pressure. Due to his diligence, Buzbee uncovered a dangerous mismatch pipe problem in the industry, and blamed FMC, the industry leader, for the problem. After a week long trial, the jury returned a substantial verdict for the widow that appeared on the front page of the Houston Chronicle as $6.2 million. The case was later overturned on appeal, and settled shortly thereafter for a confidential amount. Due to the case, the mismatch problem has now been addressed in the industry.

Tony Buzbee and Peter Taaffe (with local counsel Aaron Vela) represented an oiler on a dredge who suffered a serious knee injury while working for Weeks Marine.  Due to him tripping on a step, the worker had to have his knee scoped, and his doctor opined that a future knee surgery might be needed.  Prior to trial, the Defendant offered less than $150,000 to settle the case. After an eight day jury trial in state court, the jury rendered a verdict on our client's behalf and the Judge entered a judgment well in excess of the pretrial offer, reported in the Blue Sheet as $1.4 million. The judgment was affirmed on appeal, and settled thereafter for a confidential amount.

Successfully defended a Fortune 100 company in a case brought by a former executive seeking millions of dollars. After a week-long trial, a zero verdict was entered on behalf of client.

Tony Buzbee and Peter Taaffe (with co-counsel Allain Hardin) represented an offshore derrickhand whose finger was injured while working for Diamond Offshore.  The injury happened when his co-workers dropped an alleged defective piece of drilling equipment, made by Baker-Hughes, on his hand.  After a bench trial, the Judge entered a substantial judgment which the defendants promptly paid.